Have you ever read the Bible in a year? Me neither! However, my little sister, Shermine has! I’m so happy to have her join me so we talk about the weight of God’s Word and how to dig deeper. God speaks primarily through the Bible so we found it important to equip you with spiritual and practical tips that can easily improve the quality of your Bible study. We talk about our favorite translations, quiet time routine, bible plans, and encouragement to read at your own place!
Now is the time to seek God like never before so that you gain a deeper intimacy and grow your faith! Join Shermine and me as we share keys to keep in mind the next time (or first time) you read the Word of God! These tips are applicable for both beginners and seasoned believers. Click more to read the full blog post or tune into the videos we shared on YouTube!
First things first: what is the Bible?
The Bible is the inspired Word of God. There are 66 books that are all different styles but the message is consistent. The Bible is the account of God’s action in the world, and his purpose with all creation. God is present from the beginning to the end of the book, even if you find He is not mentioned. His love is true and wonderful, and it is shown throughout the entire Bible!
The Bible is also…
- The guidebook to our lives. It is here where we find how to live lives that please God. In doing so and developing a true relationship with Jesus, we see that our guidebook helps us live life to the fullest and not restrict us.
- Our mirror. Hebrews 4:12 – For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Before we go any further, I’d like for you to understand these 3 things:
- You may not enjoy reading the Bible at first.
- It will be hard to accept some things but everything is important. Don’t try to adapt the word to your life. Adapt your life to the Bible. Read the rough stuff!
- Context is key.
Now that we’ve established the groundwork, let’s get on to the tips!
Okay, so how do you read the Bible?
- Find a place to meet with God. He is waiting for you there!
- Highlight and/or use notecards. I do this to memorize them. Sometimes, I use post-its and place them where I can see them (like my closet door). I also write out what the Word means and meditate on what I learned.
- Ask the Lord to help you with the interpretation of the message. In other words, ask God, “what are you showing me in this passage?!” There are several interpretations but God can reveal to you the intent of His Word. Ask God for understanding and He will give it to you! Tip: read a trustworthy translation. My favorites are the New Living Translation, The Passion Translation, God’s Word
- Consider doing a Bible plan. There are many free devotions on the YouVersion Bible app. I have my own up there – it’s called Claim Your Crown and has over 100,000 completions around the globe!
- Do it with a friend! Join me! Add me on YouVersion and follow me over at @adornedinarmor.
The only thing that will live forever is the Word of God. The amazing thing is we will spend all of eternity getting to know God because He is so incomprehensible and limitless! I pray this post and these videos inspired you to read the Bible and dig deeper with Him.
If you are ready to walk in the authority and worth of royal identity, you can purchase my new book, Claim Your Crown, as your personal guide! The free devotional is available on the YouVersion Bible app with over 100,000 completions around the globe. I also have numerous resources available such as free printables and the royal confidence series on YouTube!